1/13/11

Snuggled In with Rice and Books

It's funny to see the all the blog posts go in waves...."Christmas" "Santa Came" "Merry Christmas"....and then a week later "Snowed In", "Snow Day". Ha it's what my own blog looks like.

Anyways...yesterday it was 3 degrees outside. I tend to hibernate in the winter and I don't get out of my house except to get the mail...maybe. But I resisted the urge to complain.
Going on my fourth year in Kansas, I've embraced (ok, maybe embraced isn't the best word choice here)...excepted the fact that every winter it gets cold, it snows, it stays cold...it's pretty routine and part of the drill. Life goes on and Spring eventually comes. Today it will be a blazing 34 degrees...heck, maybe we'll grill out ; )


Meanwhile, I'm snuggled in with my two and three feet tall walking entertainments pieces and very content.

So how do we spend our days? Two essential winter staples here: RICE AND BOOKS


Books...
Luckily we made a trip to the Library and checked out quite a collection of books and have been reading them with glee. Our favorite (my favorite) seems to be Jan Bret's The Mitten.

We have a card stock mitten with all the animals from the book and they each take turns putting them inside. I love it watching them love to put them in with pride when their turn comes up.



Pudding's favorite is, Mama Where Are You?, maybe because she can relate with the question...I hear her upstairs or in the basement yelling, "Mommy, a are you?" on an hourly basis.



Rice...

I
accidentally discovered this activity. We've sorted beans before and I think I was out one day so I grabbed rice instead. Instant success.


This is them playing with "Dinner Rice". For some reason, when I filled their trays with the rice, Nicholas informed me I was using "dinner rice" and so now, Christiana asks daily, "A pay dinna yice mom?" translated.."Can I play with the dinner rice mom?"

Playing with rice goes on for HOURS. I'm fascinated that day after day the keep going back to it, run their trains through it, ask for spoons and cups to fill and dump.
I'm sure that's why it is a Montessori type learning and it is great for their motor skills.

Who needs new Christmas toys when you can play with rice?

No comments: